The idea of our school is a united student, teacher and parent body to reach the main goal - to develop students` personal ability for their future life to be an open minded and critical citizen in the whole world
- by improving their researching skills,
- by implementing principles of sustainability in educational programs and learning and teaching process,
- by seeking Latvian traditions and acceptance of multicultural society.
Concerning the school 2014/2015:
- Number of students: 292.
- Number of teaching staff: 25.
- Number of technical staff: 25 (dinner room, swimming pool, sport hall etc.).
- Number of classes: 11 (7 till 12).
- Resources: sport hall, swimming pool, library, dining – room.
Daugavpils State Gymnasium offers 4 scholastic programmes. 3 programmes are offered for secondary school pupils (forms 10-12):
- Programme of General Basic Education
- General Secondary Education Programme of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Techniques in Sub-sector of Lingvotechnics where are offered mostly subjects from sub-sector of exact sciences. In addition pupils acquire some subjects in foreign language.
- General Secondary Education Programme of General Education course where are offered subjects from exact and humanitarian sub-sectors without specialization.
- General Secondary Education Programme of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Techniques Course where are offered mostly subjects from sub-sector of exact sciences.
The students have possibility to acquire 4 foreign languages (English, German, Russian and French).
Every year students can widen their outlook. We offer many out of class activities: choir, folklore dance group “Leiļi”, theatre group “Spēlmanīši”, debate club “Pārliecība”, sport sections (basketball, volleyball, football, swimming).
The participation in different European projects is one of our school brands. Some examples:
- Comenius projects (“Europäische Schülerzeitung” 2004, “Minorities in our society” 2005, “European families in comparison” 2007, “Young and old living together” 2009 – 2011).
- Comenius assistantship (5 language assistants from Germany, France, Sweden).
- Teachers` professional development in the frame of different European programs (ARION, Comenius, Gruntvig etc.).
- Cedefop/study visits: “Linking formal and informal education to acquire lifelong learning skills”,2008 (Germany, Great Britain, Luxemburg, Italy, Poland, Sweden), “Improving quality of education”, 2011 (Germany, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Turkey, France, Greece, Portugal).
- Youth in Action (“Lets` talk” 2008, partners: France, Latvia, Italy, Hungary; “The Birds” 2010, partners: Germany, Netherlands, Latvia).
- Since: UNESCO Associated school (seeking the goal - implementation of sustainability in educational programs).
- Since 2008 - Deutsche Sprachdiplomschule.
- Since 1994 - Debates (Karl Popper).
- Since 2011 - Jugend debattiert international.
- Since 2010 - Junior Achievement.
The cooperation with local university, nongovernmental organisations, public institutions and others form a basis for skills development needed in future life.
The school has a regional debate centre, gymnasium serves as a basis for City education board in arranging methodical activities, providing material and human resources.
Social awareness is one of the spheres of activity of students’ parliaments in Daugavpils State gymnasium (represented by 2 persons from each class).